Hike #8: Mason Lake Meandering

The middle of October has brought a few inches of snow to the Cascades earlier this week. Having just acquired a pair of Microspikes to extend my hiking season, I decide to attempt Mount Defiance via the old Mason Lake trail. The forecast calls for sunny but freezing weather.

Per usual, the parking lot is full at the Ira Spring trailhead when I arrive at 9:00 AM. Considering that the last time we hiked to Mason Lake, we parked 1/2 mile down the road, the brief 150' walk from my car is a luxury. The mercury (do cars have that?) reads 28 degrees, so I bundle up with gloves, hat, and a couple long-sleeve layers.

The trail begins on an old logging road that allows two or three abreast. It climbs, but not steeply, and crosses Mason Creek on a sturdy bridge in about 20 minutes. Most hikers continue up the Ira Spring Trail, which switchbacks through talus up the side of Bandera Mountain before hopping over the ridge to Mason Lake. However, just after crossing Mason Creek, I veer uphill on the old Mason Lake trail instead. I've heard it's a much shorter and less crowded route to the lake, which sounds perfect to me. The old trail climbs away from the logging road with a few switchbacks, then enters open forest and heads toward Mason Creek. The trail splits in two, with the left fork heading for the creek, and the right fork crossing a rockslide before merging with the other trail before the lake. I take the left fork, not knowing the conditions of the rockslide.
 
I remember reading the infamous description of this trail in one of my Ira Spring hiking books. However, so far it's been lovely, and it gets more so as a roaring sound grows louder. I know I am approaching Mason Creek, but I am unprepared for the amazing beauty and power of the waterfall that I meet as I round a corner. The trail comes within feet of a raging torrent that runs downhill for what seems like about a quarter mile. The trail gets steeper and a bit rougher as it parallels the creek, but for a good 20 minute stretch, the roaring cascades are my joyous companion. I puzzle about how no trip reports happened to mention such an amazing sight - perhaps the authors intended to keep it a secret. Pictures do not do this justice - this waterfall is worth the trip even if you don't go all the way to Mason Lake.

The way continues through mossy glens, never far from the creek, and eventually the rockslide I read about comes into view. It has covered the mountain side all the way down to and across the creek, and for a few moments I wonder if the trail ascends the rocks here. This could be tricky, since the rocks are covered with an inch of snow. However, I discover that the trail crosses the creek here and scrambles on the other side briefly to avoid most of the rocks. It crosses back again, then the worst part of the trail begins. At times I climb on all fours up steep rock, then up three-foot high steps over roots. I figure this must be the section of the trail Ira Spring was complaining about all those years ago. However, it's quite short, and before long, the path levels out and I'm onto the main Ira Spring Trail again. A passing hiker seems surprised to see me emerge from the woods - I suppose not many folks know about the old trail. After about an hour and forty minutes, I arrive at Mason Lake. The wind howls over the lake down the Mason Creek valley, and I stop to put on my jacket. The lake is beautiful in the morning sun, with just an inch or two of snow dusting the rocks and trees around it.

I press on around the left side of the lake, past numerous camp sites and day use areas. I pass the junction with the Pratt Lake Trail, which leads to Island and Rainbow Lakes - a destination for another time. Catching a brief glimpse of large Lake Kulla Kulla through the trees, I veer left on the Mount Defiance Trail. The trail steepens, but has nice switchbacks to ease the grade. The cold makes formerly wet spots very icy, and the shaded trail is soon covered with a few inches of packed snow. I manage to make it about 20 minutes before the conditions convince me to stop and put on my Microspikes - slipping and sliding while trying to ascend is not much fun. After putting on the spikes, I am amazed at the traction they provide. It's like the snow and ice aren't even there and I can fearlessly motor straight up the slope. I'll definitely be taking the spikes on future winter hikes, and it seems they will be helpful in steep wooded areas as well.

The short switchbacks give way to a long traverse across the  south face of Mount Defiance, opening up out of the trees into incredibly steep heather hillsides. Losing the trees means gaining amazing views, and the I-90 corridor opens up below me. As I continue climbing, I can see Mason Lake far below and behind me, along with Bandera Mountain, and all the mountains south of I-90. The trail is quite narrow, and I occasionally need to scramble into the heather to let some other hikers pass. I reach another junction just as I round a corner of the mountain. A steep trail leads from here to the summit, while the main trail continues on to Thompson Lake and Granite Lakes, which we visited in Hike #1.

I scramble up the well-trod summit trail. The southern exposure has melted the snow off most of this route, and I have to climb over a few bare rocks. This is a bit tricky with my spikes on, but I don't want to take them off since there is still snow among the trees. It only takes about 10 minutes to reach the summit, which is covered with about 5-6 inches of snow. While I normally am not a summit hiker, it's always amazing to be at the top of a peak like this and have views in all directions.  It's sunny at the top, but the wind does pick up once in a while, keeping things brisk. I have a clear view of all the Snoqualmie area peaks and excellent views north to the Middle Fork area, and south to Mt. Rainier. I hunker down on an exposed rock for lunch, with my hood up to keep out the wind. Gray jays, also known as camp robbers, flutter around hoping for a scrap of food - one flies right in front of my phone as I am trying to take a picture. I try to get a glimpse of Spider Lake to the west, but it's not easily visible from this point. Spider Lake is one of the off-trail lakes in this area, and may be a bit hard to reach due to the thick brush surrounding it.

Far below me to the east, I can see Mason Lake, with Little Mason Lake through the trees nearby. Lake Kulla Kulla is dominant and looks even larger than I imagined on the map. I can't quite see Island, Rainbow, Little Kulla, or Blazer Lakes, but I can see where they are because of holes in the tree cover. Lake Kulla Kulla and Little Kulla Lake should be a short bushwhack away from the Mt. Defiance trail, and Blazer Lake looks eminently doable as well. All seem like good day-hike destinations given the shortness of the trail to get into the Mason Lake area. I finish my lunch and head back down to the trail back to Mason Lake.

I have one more destination on my list today. Just before reaching the junction with the Pratt Lake trail, I head downhill through woods toward Little Mason Lake. According to my topo map, this should be pretty easy, and it is. The open woods make for quicj progress, and I reach the lake about 5 minutes after leaving the trail. I later learn that this is precisely the route my dad took to Little Mason decades ago - very cool to know I am following in his footsteps. Little Mason Lake is quiet and pretty, and from the shore there is an good view of the Mount Defiance summit. I mark this lake off my list with a hand in the cool water. On the southeast shore of the lake, I find a nice campsite, and a trail that I am sure heads back to Mason Lake. The trail is a bit swampy and overgrown in places, but is not hard to follow. I pass a beautiful ice-covered tarn and another campsite before walking around and through some more boggy areas to reach the main Mason Lake trail.

My mission for day has been accomplished, so now I just need to decide which way to go on the return trip. I was planning to take the Ira Spring Trail back for some variety, but the number of people on the trail makes it irritating to keep donning my face mask for COVID-19 purposes. I decide to take the old trail on the way back as well, and I'll get another chance to view the spectacular waterfalls. I keep my spikes on until the snow starts to peter out. A single trail runner passes me as I'm removing my spikes - the sole person I will see on this old trail the entire day. The falls are just as good on the way down, and the narrow wooded trail is certainly nicer than converted logging road. I had also considered taking the upper old trail on the way down, but the snow covering the rockslide basically rules out that option. I make it back to the car after about 7 hours. A great all-around hike with scenery galore. 

Stats

Time: 7 hours
Distance: 8 miles
Elevation Gain: 3400'
Summits: Mount Defiance

Alpine Lakes Mission

Lakes visited: Mason, Little Mason
Total lakes: 18
Percent complete: 6%

Photos and Videos

360° Photo: Mount Defiance Summit

360° Photo: Little Mason Lake

Comments