Hike #10: Soggy Stroll to Otter Falls


Today's goal is Otter Falls and Lipsy Lake, an easy 8 mile trek up the Taylor River trail, officially known as the Snoqualmie Lake Trail. Lipsy Lake is officially named on the USGS map, but it's just outside the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, so I won't be checking anything off my list. I chose this hike today since it's at a lower elevation - the higher trails are pretty much a no-go with the two feet of snow that feel in the last week.






The trail starts just before a massive concrete bridge over the Taylor River, beyond the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River trailhead and the new Garfield Ledges trailhead and picnic area. I get a late start this morning and don't arrive until 12:00; there are four other cars in the large parking lot. I have fond memories of the last time we hiked this trail in 2003, when we went all the way to Big Creek. I carried Allie in the backpack for most of that hike, so it was quite the workout! My day pack today is not quite so heavy.




The trail follows the Taylor River closely in the first mile, and its roar drowns out all other sounds. I can tell it's going to be a wet day - it's raining on and off, and after the first mile, the trail is covered with 2-4 inches of wet slush. So much for my plan to avoid snow by staying at low elevations! Fortunately, I just got a new pair of waterproof hiking boots, and the slush and numerous water crossings will be an excellent test of their quality. The trail follows the old road grade going very gradually upward - it's only about 650' of elevation gain in 4 miles.




At Marten Creek, the old wooden car bridge has been replaced by a very sturdy hiker's bridge. Marten Creek roars underneath the bridge, and would certainly not be crossable without it. Just before the bridge, a faint trail marked with a cairn and an old shoe heads uphill to Marten Lake. Marten Lake is not a good trail to do in the snow and wet - even during the summer, people report having difficulty finding it. This lake is in the ALW, so I'll likely be back to do it next summer.


I press ahead, slogging through creeks running down the trail and slush, but fortunately very little mud. I left my trekking poles in the car, figuring I wouldn't need them for this easy hike, but having them for some of the big water crossings would be helpful. I make do without them, and manage not to fall in anywhere. About half a mile before the turn to Otter Falls, I cross what I'm calling Anderson Creek - this is actually the outlet stream from Anderson Lake, which I visited on my Lennox Creek hike back in October. According to my guidebook, there used to be a trail from Anderson Lake down to the Taylor River, but any sign of it seems long gone.


After about four miles, I take the short trail up to Otter Falls and Lipsy Lake. One hiker has just left, so I have the place to myself for some photos and a quick lunch break under a hemlock tree. The falls don't have a lot of water in them right now, but the massive granite slab the water is running down is impressive. Apparently from the lake you can only see the bottom 500' of the total 1200' drop. There aren't many views to speak of, but I do get a peek at what I think might be Treen Peak through the clouds.



The light rain on the way up has allowed me to stay mostly dry so far. However, the rain intensifies on my way down, and continues all the way back to the car, soaking through my rain jacket and two other layers. I make a fist and water drips out of my wool gloves. I don't take many pictures near the end of the hike, for fear of getting my phone wet. Fortunately, I have a dry shirt in my backpack that I put on at the car, and my new hiking boots have performed splendidly! My socks and feet are the only dry part of my entire ensemble. My trusty Subaru is the only car left in the parking lot, though in total I saw about six other parties on the trail. I hop in and head for home, after a short detour toward Dingford Creek to check out the road conditions. My Forester says "no prob" to the giant potholes and lakes inhabiting this stretch of road.

This is probably the wettest hike I've ever done but it's a great one if you like waterfalls and forest walks. I look forward to a return journey in warmer, drier conditions.


Stats

Time: 4 hours
Distance: 8.2 miles
Elevation Gain: 650'
Sights: Otter Falls

Photos and Videos

360° Photo: Otter Falls and Lipsy Lake

Comments

  1. I couldn't believe you actually went out for a wilderness hike today. You are as crazy as the rest of the Gilbert's. Ha. That slab of granite is impressive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment