Hike #9: Sunday at the Katwalk


On a beautiful Sunday the day after Halloween, I hit the trail at about 7:30 AM, just steps from the summit of Snoqualmie Pass. My watch reads 8:30, since we had just set our clocks back the night before. As expected, there are quite a few hikers at the trailhead already - about 20 cars. This is one of the more popular hikes in the Snoqualmie area. Shockingly, in all my years of hiking I have never been to the famous Kendall Katwalk.






The hike starts out on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), but about 100' in, I veer left on the abandoned Cascade Crest Trail. It's a little bit overgrown near the bottom, but generally in very good condition. The CCT cuts off one mile each way on this hike, and I see no one else on this section of the trail. The only slight downside, which only adds to the adventure, is a bridge-free water crossing across rushing Commonwealth Creek. Using my trekking poles, I make it across on some rocks without getting wet.



The CCT merges with the Commonwealth Basin Trail at about 1.3 miles, and the PCT shortly thereafter. Jeannie, Allie, Lucas and I hiked to this very spot 14 years ago on the PCT before turning around. Times were perhaps simpler back then, but the mountains look pretty much the same. The trail starts a long traverse up the flanks of Kendall Peak for the next 3.5 miles, shortly crossing a large avalanche chute that turned hundreds of trees into a pile of logs far below. I see one trail runner on her way down at about 9:30 AM.



Halfway through this section, the trail breaks out into talus on the slopes of Kendall Peak, and the views began in earnest. It's a nonstop panorama of the South Fork Snoqualmie Valley and Commonwealth Basin. Crystal clear skies and warm weather make viewing conditions ideal. Mt. Rainier makes an appearance above the Summit at Snoqualmie ski area, and I-90 can be seen in the valley far below.



The views become more amazing with each step, and Guye Peak, Cave Ridge and Red Mountain dominate. Towering above the CCT at the beginning of the hike, Guye Peak's summit is now almost at eye level, showing how far up I have climbed. A pika chirps at me from the talus but is too distant for a good portrait. I have still only seen a couple other hikers, since are on their way up like me.


The rock transforms from salt and pepper granite to red just before the trail crosses a pass between Kendall Peak and Red Mountain. Cliff-steep scree fields of the reddish-gray rock are quite distinctive, and I resist taking a few samples home. Snow and ice occasionally cover the trail as it approaches the Katwalk, but fortunately the PCT is not steep, so spikes are not required. Nevertheless, I almost fall on my backside a couple times on the way up. Big Snow Mountain shyly peeks above the horizon - a future destination off the Middle Fork Snoqualmie.


As the trail reaches the Katwalk, the views are jaw-dropping in every direction, and one might imagine Frodo, Gandalf, and seven more souls passing this way. Though officially I am entering Kittitas County, crossing the Katwalk feels like stepping into another world.

The Katwalk itself was blasted through solid rock in the late 1970s to complete this section of the Pacific Crest Trail. It sits at about 5400' of elevation and marks the high point of my journey today. Peering over the side of the blasted rock is a good test for acrophobia!

On the other side of the Katwalk, Kendall Peak fills the southern skyline, with Alta Mountain anchoring the opposite side of the Gold Creek basin. Alta extends to Rampart Ridge, which we visited in Hike #2, and I hope to be back to climb it on our next visit to bag Lila Lake and Box Canyon Lake. Hibox Mountain appears just to the left of Alta. Most hikers stop and turn around near the Katwalk, but my mission today includes two alpine lakes about 1 mile farther north - Ridge Lake and Gravel Lake.



The trail past the Katwalk alternates through rock and lovely heather hillsides. It loses a few hundred feet to the lakes, and a few inches of snow cover the trail in places. I break out my trekking poles to help power through the snowy bits without slipping. Peaks come into view from all directions, including Thomson, Huckleberry, Lemah, and Chikamin. I remember hearing these names as a kid, but seeing them in person, and knowing my dad has probably climbed most of them, is quite exciting.





Amazingly, the Pacific Crest Trail can be seen as a white pathway along the flanks of Chikamin Peak and Four Brothers, miles in the distance. I wonder if any hardy souls are traversing that part of the PCT today - it seems to cross an unending talus field on the way to Park Lakes and Spectacle Lake. This will be a section of the PCT we will hike eventually, but it's out of range for most day hikers.


The Crest Trail can also be seen crossing steep alpine meadows on its way around Alaska Mountain. Huckleberry Mountain stands like a rocky pyramid and is just a short ascent for peak-baggers, so I've heard. For now, the beauty of the wilderness makes me forget all about how far I've walked. I'm feeling pretty good though - it has taken me about four hours to reach this point, and I'm almost at my destination.




Ridge Lake is mere steps from the PCT, so I reach that first. Gravel Lake is about 150' below the trail, so I decide to bag that first before coming back to Ridge Lake for lunch. I make my way down a snowy talus field to Gravel Lake, putting my hand in the water to officially check it off my list. Gravel Lake is a study in contrast - alpine forest on one side and desolate scree and talus on the other. As with many alpine lakes, its name seems uninspiring but appropriate. I find the way trail I missed on the way down, and climb past some camp sites to the main trail.
Ridge Lake is beautiful and a perfect spot for lunch. One other group is dining at the lake, but I make my way around the shore out of sight, and feel like I'm the only one around. It's a balmy day in the 50s, and I seriously consider unzipping my convertible pants, but decide to leave them on for the shadier areas on the way back. I do take off my hiking boots and socks to give my feet a well-earned breather. The water doesn't feel too cold, but I wasn't planning on swimming today!

At this midpoint of the hike, I have gone about six and a half miles with 2700' of elevation gain.

After lunch, I pass camp sites on the far side of Ridge Lake, and hike a for a couple minutes more on the PCT, since I know there should be an overlook of Alaska Lake. It can be seen about 1000' feet below. There is a rough trail up to Alaska Lake from Gold Creek, but it seems there should be a way down to it from the PCT via the ridge at the right. It is, of course, another lake on my list, so I'll have to decide which way to approach it. Alaska Mountain can be seen to the left of the lake.

Having accomplished my mission, I start the long trek back. Dozens of hikers are on their way up, which makes putting my face mask on a bit of a chore. I decide I need a neck gaiter that is easier to raise and lower. I snap a few more pictures at the Katwalk, where the wind is really picking up. Most likely I would have completed this hike much faster if it weren't for all the pictures I took! The miles tick by quickly on the gentle slopes of the Crest Trail - they always seem longer on the way down, even though the opposite is true.


On the return, I take the PCT all the way to the trailhead instead of using the CCT. This is mostly for nostalgia purposes, to see if I remember the trail from 14 years ago. It looks pretty familiar, but isn't really worth the extra mile and the extra people I have to pass. I certainly remember the giant, house-sized rock sitting just off the trail.

I make it back to the car with plenty of daylight to spare. It's a successful trip, checking off two lakes and discovering some of the most amazing scenery the Alpine Lakes Wilderness has to offer. This is a place I will definitely visit again!

Stats

Time: 8 hours
Distance: 13.7 miles
Elevation Gain: 2800'
Sights: Kendall Katwalk

Alpine Lakes Mission

Lakes visited: Gravel, Ridge
Total lakes: 20
Percent complete: 6.7%

Photos and Videos

360° Photo: Kendall Katwalk

360° Photo: Ridge Lake

360° Photo: Alaska Lake Overlook

Comments