Hike #13: Mount Washington Workout

The Alpine Lakes are all snowed in, and avalanche danger is possible in the high country, so I've continued my search for other hikes that are closer to home, or to sea level. Today's goal is to summit Mount Washington, which is just outside of North Bend and across I-90 from the ever-popular Mailbox Peak. Apart from the fact that I've never done it, I've chosen Washington mainly because I know it's less crowded than other hikes in the area. We shall see if that turns out to be true. I hop in the car after a rather lazy start to Sunday morning, and arrive at Olallie State Park and the trailhead at about 11:30.


After a brief walk on the Palouse to Cascades Trail (formerly known as the Iron Horse Trail), the Mount Washington trail veers uphill and gets down to business. It starts out steep and rocky, and I think rocks may be a theme today. Before long, I pass a magnificent cave someone has labeled on Gaia as "Club Paradiso". As I hike by, two people are sitting in the cave apparently having a beverage, and one raises a glass to me - not something you usually see on a trail! (Editor's note: the photo here is on the way down when the cave was empty.)


I marvel at the huge rock outcroppings of all kinds that crowd and sometimes overhang the trail. The trail is a former logging road, but it has probably been out of service for decades at this point, based on the tree growth around it. It's a pretty consistent uphill grade, but mellows out from time to time, and like most former logging roads, is never crazy steep like climbers paths can be. Still, it's a good workout, and I know I have to make it up 3200' to get to the top. There aren't many views on this part of the trail, but it is a sunny day so far, so I'm hoping I will have a nice view at the top, which towers over the east end of North Bend. The forest here is not much to write home about, since the second growth trees have very little undergrowth and a sameness viewed from underneath or above. I have been reading up on this a bit - it seems a secondary forest can take 40-100 years to resemble an old growth forest.


I first hit snow at about 3200'. So far, I have passed quite a few people on the trail, and to pass the time I make a game out of counting people and their dogs. So far I'm at 40 people and 5 dogs. I climb through a short rocky section, then the snow starts again for good. The logging road is finally left behind for a trail into the trees, and then a snow-covered talus field. After a bit of slipping through the talus, I put on the microspikes for the rest of the climb. I'm at about 3800' and the snow is about a foot deep now. Unfortunately, just as I start across the talus, I appear to be entering a cloud. Visibility drops to about 200' and I don my hat to keep the fine, cool drizzle off my face. It's not cold, but this could put a damper on the views I'm hoping for!

The remaining climb to the summit goes pretty quickly, with some nice snowy switchbacks and a real trail through the woods. In some of the open spots along the summit ridge, I get the sense that I would have a really nice view, if only I could see it! The trail has been easy to follow despite the snow - enough people come up here on a regular basis that there is a nice wide bootpath, with no snowshoes or gaiters required. I pass maybe four or five more people on the final climb, but when I get to the summit at around 2:00, I have it all to myself. It has taken me about 2.5 hours to get here, so if I want to make it back before dark, I better eat quickly and think about heading back.

I eat lunch and entertain three or four camp robbers flying around looking for a handout. I'm really hoping the skies will clear so I can get a view, but so far no dice. There is a weather station at the summit, and as luck would have it, I have cell phone coverage right at that spot. I send a few text messages home and start packing up to head back, disappointed in the socked in views. However, at this moment, the sun seems to get a little brighter, and I see some blue sky overhead. Moments later, shapes start to emerge from among the mass of white cloud below me. "This just might happen!" I say to myself. Even though the hour is getting late, I have a headlamp and it's worth staying a little bit longer to see if the clouds will part.

My patience is rewarded, as the low clouds seem to vanish in mere minutes. The scenery opens up on all sides and I can see I-90 and North Bend far below. The view of Mailbox Peak to the north is also clearing, and I can see just how steep the north face of Mount Washington really is. It looks steep from the freeway, but it looks even more so from up on top! Content now that I have finally gotten the sense of the summit, I don my pack and head down. Just off the summit, I get a view down to Chester Morse Lake on the back side - this is the reservoir and watershed for the City of Seattle, and is off-limits to hikers. I also get great shots of Bandera Mountain and McClellan Butte just to the east.

The way back down is mostly uneventful - I try out jogging on the snow in my spikes to make up some time, and it works surprisingly well! A snowy trail can actually be a lot easier to hike on than a rocky or dusty trail, as the snow smooths out all the bumps, and the spikes give a secure grip in packed snow. I haven't seen anyone else on top, and I don't pass anyone until I'm back at the beginning of the snow section about 20 minutes later, having made good time down from the top. It looks like I'll probably be the last one on the summit tonight, unless someone decides to do it in darkness! It's a pretty safe trail though - no avalanche danger and no steep exposure, so this is a good one to do in pretty much any condition apart from a raging blizzard.

The miles seem longer on the way down, as they always do. The steepness of the trail takes a toll on feet and toes, but I keep up the pace in to get to the car before darkness. Five people are heading up in the middle of the trail - I hope they are going to turn around before it gets too late. On the way back down, I stop at Club Paradiso to take a few pictures, and marvel at the dripping, overhanging rock. I make it back to the car by about 4:30, having accomplished my goal! In total, I have counted 59 humans and 7 dogs. I imagine I might return here again - this is a great workout with much more solitude than the more well-known summits nearby. The tradeoff is lesser views at the top, since Mount Washington is treed right to the summit.

Stats

Time: 5 hours
Distance: 8 miles
Elevation Gain: 3200'
Summits: Mount Washington

Photos and Videos

Comments