Hike #25: Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?

It's been a few days since my last hike and I need to get out and put in some solid work. It's rainy and cloudy, but that's to be expected this time of year. In an unofficial effort to hike all the nearby trails I've never visited, I choose the Dirty Harry's Peak Trail. About a third of the way up to the peak is a popular viewpoint called Dirty Harry's Balcony. According to the WTA, the peak was named by Harvey Manning (some sources say Ira Spring) after local logger Harry Gault, who was extremely thorough in logging this mountain, to the chagrin of the hiking community, I surmise. The peak itself rises just above Granite Lakes, and is at the eastern end of the ridge containing Mailbox Peak and Dirtybox Peak. Since I've gotten a late start, my plan is to reach Dirty Harry's Balcony and then continue upward until I'm turned around by snow or lack of time.

I head through the woods for a minute or two before crossing the South Fork Snoqualmie River on a road bridge. The deep blue green of the river looks inviting, and there are several swimming holes that are probably popular in summer. Just across the bridge, I start uphill on the trail, passing a really cool signboard that has been attached to a huge boulder next to the trail. The trail has a number of rock-climbing destinations that are marked on the map. It's a steady climb through recovering forest, and the rock at the beginning has been a sign of what is to come. Parts of the trail are fairly steep, but the switchbacks are well constructed, and I am impressed by the amount of rock work that has been done here. At times it is difficult to tell which rocks have been placed by man and which by nature, which I think is a sign of a job well done. As I pass various rock-climbing side paths, there are helpful signposts labeled "DHPT" to keep me on the hiking trail. So far, the rain has been pretty light, and I'm really glad to see the clouds have not completely obscured the views, though the tops of most of the nearby peaks cannot be seen.

As I work my way up the trail, there are several places to walk out onto a rock ledge and enjoy the sights. I can see Mount Washington and McClellan Butte to the south, along with several other unnamed peaks. The main drawback to this hike seems to be the freeway noise, which is constant. The trail levels out at about 2400', or about 1000' up from the car, and I reach a side trail that leads to the real balcony, with another fork leading to a minor trail connecting to the Mason Lake / Mount Defiance trail to the east. The route has been quite good to this point, but the 1/4 mile section leading to the balcony is really in need of help. It's a boot-beaten track through mud, roots, and tree branches to the rock outcropping that comprises Dirty Harry's Balcony. The views are excellent here, though I think some of the lower viewpoints were a bit better. Nevertheless, it's a good place to stop for lunch, and I have reached it in about an hour and 15 minutes. The skies are still slowly dripping, but the clouds make for interesting pictures, and add to the quintessential Northwest nature of this outing.

I return to the fork in the trail and continue upward on the Dirty Harry's Peak trail. I've only got about two or three hours of daylight left, so it's unlikely I'll make it to the peak, and by the looks of it, the top is in the clouds anyway, so will be a better idea when long views are possible. The trail shortly changes into a very old logging road, though it's barely recognizable as such now. The way is steep, but the trail snakes back and forth up the old road bed, using mini-switchbacks to ease the grade slightly. I reach what appears to be an obvious viewpoint (see the photo) but there is nothing to be seen but cloud and shadows of treetops.
After rounding a wide switchback and passing some cool rocks formations, I reach another pretty neat viewpoint, though the views toward the pass are less impressive since they're hidden by the shoulder of Web Mountain . What's neat about this viewpoint is the massive log into which someone has carved various seats into. Usually a log so carved would just be a bench - this one is a full-blown sectional sofa. I wonder how long this piece of rustic wooden furniture has been sitting here and who the chainsaw artist was that made it. Or perhaps they used an axe rather than a chainsaw? Either way, it's an impressive piece.

I'm only about ten minutes away from my chosen turnaround time, but I continue upward, hoping to reach the fork in the trail leading to Dirty Harry's Peak or Web Mountain. I pass two young guys coming the other way, who say they reached the top of the peak. They tell me there is a lot of snow at the top and it was snowing at the time. I tell them I don't have time to reach the top today, but I'm sure I will make it up here again. Right about this point is where I see the first snow covering the trail - it's surprising that I haven't yet seen any given that I'm over 3400' now. At this same elevation in Snoqualmie Pass, there is 6-8' of snow on the ground! Apparently the southern slope here, or the location of this peak near the entrance to the mountains, has allowed for more melt-out or more rainm. I reach the junction with the Web Mountain trail and explore it briefly. There is a definite path, but it isn't a very good one, and consists mainly of wet, moss-covered rocks with brush encroaching from both sides, and it turns to snow fairly quickly. At a talus slope I turn around to check out the other fork.

The Dirty Harry's Peak trail is still pretty nice, but after reaching about 3500' I decide it's time to head for the car. It looks to be another 1000' up to the peak, over 3/4 of a mile, so relatively steep. The summit should have excellent views similar to what is seen at Mailbox Peak. It has taken me about two hours so far, but the descent should be much faster. On the way down, the clouded-over viewpoint has cleared up nicely and gives a great look at Mount Washington and the freeway far below. I make it back to the car in only about an hour and 20 minutes, thankful for the many rockwork steps that have been added to the trail.


Once again, I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of a trail I've always ignored. In the past, I usually turned up my nose at trails not run by the Forest Service, but I have a newfound appreciation for the work that has gone into creating and maintaining these popular spots in the front country. Dirty Harry's Peak may not yet be old growth forest, or have an alpine lake, but it has views aplenty, even for those who choose not to go all the way to the top. An altogether enjoyable trail that I'd easily recommend to climbers and families alike.

Stats

Time: 3.5 hours
Distance: 7 miles
Elevation Gain: 2150'
Sights: Dirty Harry's Balcony

Photos and Videos

360° Photo: Lower Balcony

360° Photo: Dirty Harry's Balcony

Comments