Hike #53: Sublime Snoqualmie

I've been itching to get back to the Alpine Lakes Wilderness again - the last ALW lake I've been to was Marten Lake in January. Unfortunately, the huge snowpack this year means most wilderness trails are still buried in many feet of snow. However, this week I noticed a couple of trip reports for Snoqualmie Lake, which is about eight miles up the Taylor River, beyond Otter Falls and Big Creek Falls. I haven't prepared yet for an overnight hike, and am a bit hesitant to hike 16 miles in one day. The Snoqualmie Lake Trail provides another option, though - one can bike the first six miles of the trail, from which point it's only about two miles further to Snoqualmie Lake. I pump up the tires on my trusty commuter bike the night before, and toss it in the back of my Forester for the journey.

Having just hiked Otter Falls a few days earlier on Mother's Day, I'm familiar with the conditions on the trail. It's a beautiful sunny spring day and I'll be hiking and biking in shorts and a t-shirt. The first six miles are perfect for biking in terms of the difficulty, only gaining about 600'. What's not perfect are all the rocky sections of the trail. I have to get off my bike and walk about 15 or 20 times. In addition, I need to get my bike across the rather large water crossings at Anderson Creek and Otter Creek. This turns out to be relatively easy, though, since I can just roll my bike through the water and hang onto it for support. Views of Mount Garfield peek through the trees occasionally, but this hike is more about forest and water than snow-covered peaks so far.

I make good time on the trail, stopping a few times to cut away some blowdown with my new saw. I reach Big Creek Falls in about an hour and twenty minutes, including saw time. I have fond memories of Big Creek Falls from a hike I did with Jeannie, Allie, and my brother Aaron way back in 2002. At the time, it seemed like a long hike, but no doubt part of that was carrying Allie in the backpack for a good stretch of it. The bridge over Big Creek is a sturdy hunk of concrete, left over from decades ago when this trail was an active logging road. The creek is roaring today with the spring runoff from the Dream Lake basin high above. I hop back on the bike and ride another 10 minutes or so up the trail on generally good tread, only having to get off once or twice.

At this point I reach the junction with the Nordrum Lake trail. I stash the bike behind a stump below the tread, checking that it can't be seen from either trail. Not that I should be too worried about bike theft - I've only seen one other hiker so far on this weekday and there were only two cars in the parking lot when I began. I say goodbye to the wheels for now and head uphill past an ancient road sign for Snoqualmie Lake, eager to see what the Alpine Lakes Wilderness has in store. I enter the ALW after a few minutes and come upon a huge blowout that looks to have happened within the last few years. Massive freshly-broken granite boulders litter the hillside, and a jumble of logs and broken trees lie at the bottom. On this open section of hillside I get an excellent view of the east side of Treen Peak. A neat set of switchbacks has been constructed through the slide, delivering me to the other side without incident.

The trail heads upwards through old-growth forest, with increasing numbers of small stream crossings, and a few blowdowns along the way. About a mile in, a roaring sound steadily grows and I suspect I must be nearing the Taylor River. This river parallels the entire trail from before I parked the car, all the way up to Snoqualmie Lake, which is its source. However, the river has been quite distant since the first mile or so of the trail. I round a corner and suddenly come upon a deeply carved rock chute with water gushing out of it at an enormous rate. The sound is deafening and mist fills the air. I later discover this was historically called Nordrum Falls, or sometimes Taylor Falls. Above the massive plunge waterfall is a large tiered cascade that takes my breath away. This is a great time of year to be observing waterfalls!

I carry on up the trail, starting a switchbacking section past more small and medium-sized falls. I'm on my eighth mile from the car, and I'm feeling the unexercised muscles I used on the bike. Still, it's a lovely trail in open woods, and not too steep - a perfect example of what an Alpine Lakes Wilderness trail should be. I start to encounter snow on the trail at about 2800' or so, but it's easy to cross. As I near the lake, I come across a granite rockslide section, where the trail is basically a stream, followed by an even larger stream crossing. This is all part of the adventure and it's not hard to cross. From this point, the snow starts to get deeper and I'm soon walking over a couple feet of it. I have my GPS with me, but it's really not necessary, as there are obvious boot prints in the snow, and even without those, this route is easy since once can just follow the roaring sound of the Taylor River all the way to the lake.

The river is a beautiful greenish hue that contrasts nicely with the white snow, and I've had to don my sunglasses a few times to avoid snow blindness. The snow is consolidated (packed down) for the most part, so I don't sink in too much, but once in a while a misstep will lead to postholing, where one's leg sinks in knee-high or more. This dumps snow in the top of my hiking boots, but it's a warm day and a little snow doesn't bother me. I'm very close to the river now, and as I pass some large trees I come upon an amazing sight. The river is pouring down a massive waterfall to my right, then through many braided channels it takes a 90 degree turn along the trail. I guess that this must be very near the lake outlet, as I can see daylight just above the waterfall. It's probably 150' away from me, but I can see and hear the power of the ice-cold water frothing over the falls, which seem to be a continuous 30-40' cascade.


After taking in this scene for a few minutes, I continue on through the snow. Any sign of solid ground is long gone, and from the surrounding trees and river, it appears the snow is at least 3-4' deep here. I follow the bootpath in the snow up a short climb to the left of the waterfall, and soon enough I am greeted by the sight of Snoqualmie Lake! The trail reaches the lake just at the outlet, and indeed the mammoth waterfall is just below it. The trail is about 20' above the level of the outlet, and I can see that there is an open beach next to the water here. However, hoping for slightly more expansive views of the lake, I press on through the snow another 100' or so, and I find another small beach facing south with a lovely rock to sit on and enjoy my lunch.



The lake itself is almost entirely covered in snow and ice, with only small parts melted out right next to the shoreline. Based on my topo map, I know that the part of the lake I'm seeing here is only about half of it, but it still looks pretty large - Snoqualmie Lake is probably in the top 10 largest lakes in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness by area. Due to the long day and the large amount of snow around the lake, I elect not to explore any further, but I will be back some day to visit all the higher lakes in the area. It's very quiet here, as there are no other humans present, nor do I see any wildlife. Snow still covers the tops of nearby peaks, though from my lakeside lunch rock, no notable summits can be seen.


I pack up my lunch gear and start the long trek back. On the way down, I plunge step through the snow next to the large outlet waterfall - standing only 15-20 feet away from it is quite thrilling. On the way back down the trail I see two solo backpackers who will probably be spending the night at the lake. Most likely they will be snow camping, which can actually be a lot more comfortable than a sloped or rooty camp site, as long as you have the right insulated gear!



Upon returning to the junction with the Nordrum Lake trail, I head up toward Nordrum Lake about 1/4 mile to check out the Taylor River crossing. Since there is no bridge here, it appears a ford is required, but it also appears to be completely impassable at the present time. The water is moving fast and deep and though one might jump across it, jumping over deep water onto a wet rock is probably not advisable. Nordrum Lake will need to wait a month or two for the water to go down. I return to the crossroads and find my bike, and start rolling.


Within an hour or so I have successfully navigated through all the rocks and stream crossings down the Taylor River trail. I don't hop off the bike to walk as frequently on the way down, relying on some creative mountain bike moves to keep myself moving. I wish I had better tires for this type of adventure, but my bike is holding up quite well for a 20-year old commuter model. A bike with actual suspension would be nice here, but for this sort of logging road adventure once or twice a year, it might be overkill. I return the car a bit shaken up, but thrilled to have completed over 16 miles in around seven hours. This is probably my favorite hike of the year so far - the waterfalls were thrilling and it was great to be on the real wilderness trails again, and see a hint of what's to come as the snow melts.

Stats

Time: 7 hours
Distance: 17 miles
Elevation Gain: 2100'
Sights: Big Creek Falls, Nordrum Falls, Snoqualmie Lake Falls

Alpine Lakes Mission

Lakes visited: Snoqualmie
Total lakes: 22
Percent complete: 7.4%

Photos and Videos

360° Photo: Big Creek Falls


Video: Big Creek Falls


Video: Snoqualmie Lake Falls



Comments