Hike #60: Green Ridge Recon

I’ve been itching to get up to Green Ridge since I first saw it on the topo maps last fall. This little-known area north of the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River is not easy to get to, but it’s the gateway to over 10 alpine lakes, not to mention the high summits of Mount Garfield, Treen Peak, and Galleon Mountain. The trail is a rough mining and fishing path that is infamous for its steepness, in one stretch climbing 2000’ in about 0.8 miles. This rivals such well-known steep ascents like Aasgard Pass, which rises 2100’ over the same distance, or Putrid Pete’s Peak, which has a stretch of 1000’ in just 0.3 miles! Fortunately, I successfully hiked PPP a week ago with no ill effects, so I think I’m ready for this one.

I navigate the 4.6 miles of bone-rattling potholes on Forest Service road 5620, also known as the Dingford Creek Road, and park in a pullout just past the trailhead. Not that there is a trailhead, per se - just a path that leads straight into the woods before the road crosses Green Ridge Creek. At first, the trail seems pretty easy; there are a few trees across it, but it’s nice moss and forest. This ends in about three minutes as I proceed straight up a rooty track to gain the bottom of the ridgeline. The path is a bit brushy at times, with salal growing on both sides, but I’ve actually been on far worse trails. I know there will be snow as I near the lake, but at the lower elevations, it feels like summer and everything is very dry. The roar of Green Ridge Creek can be heard to my right, deep below the spine of the ridge.

I’m forced to climb fairly slowly on the steep trail, but the open forest makes for pleasant hiking, and it’s a warm spring day with no bugs. Through the tree cover, I get occasional glimpses of Preacher Mountain on the other side of the Middle Fork, and at one viewpoint I can see Tin Cup Joe Falls with its impressively tall drop into the valley. After about an hour of relentless climbing, I reach a junction at 3400’. The fork in the trail would be hard to notice if I wasn’t looking for it, as the tread is a bit faint in places. The left fork continues upward along Green Ridge toward Mount Garfield. I take the right fork, which leads to Green Ridge Lake. I’m unsure at first if I’m on the right path, since the trail actually descends a bit and gets even fainter, but a check of my GPS tells me I’m on track. Besides, I think, how many faint trails are up here, anyway?

Passing over a short talus field, I get glimpses of more distant peaks near Snoqualmie Pass, specifically their lesser-seen north faces. The trail, which had diverted away from Green Ridge Creek for a bit, now nears it again, and I get an excellent view of a narrow canyon filled with the rushing snowmelt coming from Green Ridge Lake. To this point, the trail has been free of snow, but at about 3600’ it’s covering everything under the large trees. The trail seems to hug the edge of the creek canyon, but before long, the snow makes it hazardous to follow this route. I climb up a steep snow slope for about 50’ to some talus above, kicking in steps as I go. There are no other boot prints up here today, which is a sure sign of a real adventure!

I traverse talus for a few minutes, then it’s back into even deeper snow again, now about 4’ or more. The terrain is getting more gentle, so I can tell I’m getting close to the lake. Conditions are excellent, as the snow is completely consolidated and hard and it makes for really easy walking with no special gear required. I weave my way among the trees heading upward. There’s no way to know where the trail is anymore, but it doesn’t matter since I can just follow the creek to the lake. The outlet creek appears to have carved a huge canyon, but this is an illusion caused by the 8-10’ high walls of snow on both sides of the creek. I emerge from the trees at about 3850’, and see the lake extending into the distance before me. Steep terrain rises to the left, while more gradual slopes are seen beyond and to the right. The trees and clouds surrounding me reflect perfectly in the quiet water.

I can see that fulfilling my Alpine Lakes Wilderness mission for this lake today is going to be a problem. Snow surrounds the entire lake and extends down into the water, which appears to be several feet deep at the edge. I can even see ice formations under the crystal clear water, like the bottom of an iceberg. In many lakes, the outlet area will melt out first and provide access to water at a logjam. However, the outlet here at Green Ridge Lake is in shade, and covered by a snow bridge that appears to be about 10’ high. It has also been undercut by the water escaping the lake, so there is no safe way to get to the water at this point without a boat! I’ll mark this lake complete conditionally, knowing that I’ll need to make it official on a later trip when there is less snow. This is not a big deal, since I’ll have to pass this way again to reach many other lakes on my list. I sit down on an exposed rock and enjoy some lunch in the spring sunshine.

It has taken me about two hours to reach the lake, which might sound impressive if it weren’t for the fact that I only walked about 1.5 miles. Nonetheless, I have time left in the day so I decide I need to head up Green Ridge for a bit and do some exploring. Perhaps I can get some nice views, or even spot some of the other lakes in the area. I could descend 400’ back to the junction and head up the trail that way, but the way to the ridge trail is temptingly short if I go cross-country. I don my micro spikes for the expected snow and steep terrain, and set off due west, where I will eventually regain the ridge trail. The going is pretty slow, as expected, and extremely steep. At times I detour around brush patches and hoist my way up slopes with veggie belay, always favoring gaining elevation rather than losing it. Along the way I get some amazing views of Snoqualmie Mountain and other summits to the south. After a final steep push, I reach the ridge trail at about 4200’. It’s amazing how even such an ill-defined trail is a luxury after a bit of intense bushwhacking. I didn’t end up traversing much snow on this south-facing slope, but my spikes and poles were very helpful on the steep duff.

I’m only on the trail for a few minutes when the ridge widens and I’m in snow-filled open forest. On the map, I recall seeing a plateau containing a tarn at about 4400’, so I decide this is a great target for the afternoon. I head east off the main ridge and find the plateau in just a few minutes, after taking note of a few unique trees in case I need to find my way back without aid of my GPS. Arriving at this snow-covered plateau is a bit like entering another world after the dry, steep ridge I have climbed. This type of terrain is one of the most enjoyable parts of high alpine wandering. I imagine it would be a very pretty area once the snow melts as well, though the snow does an excellent job of eliminating any brush.



I walk for a few minutes and reach what I am calling Tarn 4472, so named based on its elevation. The tarn is a beautiful aqua color with a ridge and a small peak on the far side. This color comes from the fact that it’s not exactly melted out. Instead, the snow on top has melted, but is trapped by the deep snow all around it. It looks like a very chilly wading pool.



I make my way up to the ridge next to the tarn, hoping for my first real view to the north. I am not disappointed, as just on the other side of this ridge I see a huge drop down into the bowl containing Carole Lake, almost 1500’ below. I can just make out a sliver of the lake in the distance. Dominating the skyline to my left is the south face of Treen Peak, with the cliffy slopes of Floating Rock to my right. Far in the distance, I can see Dream Mountain and Cascade Mountain, across the Taylor River Valley that I hiked on my way to Snoqualmie Lake. I was hoping to have a view of Garfield Mountain and the three lakes behind it, but it appears Garfield is not visible unless I travel further up Green Ridge. It seems odd to be so close to such a massive mountain without being able to spot it, but it’s the nature of mountainous terrain.

The small peak of Point 4595 is just to my right, and I kick steps up about 100’ of deep snow to reach the apex. The sights from here are even better, since I now have a 360 degree view that includes the imposing Snoqualmie peaks to the south. I can see Green Ridge Lake directly below, in addition to Hi-Low Lake just a bit farther up the valley. This area definitely needs more exploring, though I can’t decide if it would be better with or without the snow - travel on the snow-covered slopes has been a real joy today. I plunge-step my way down the steep slope past the blue tarn and onto the plateau, heading for the trail. I have GPS to keep me on track, but the simplest thing to do is just follow my footsteps in the snow.

Once I’m back on the trail proper, the long descent begins. I should clarify: the descent is only long because of the time required - the actual distance is less than two miles. The path is faint in places, but it’s hard to get lost because it’s a ridge trail, always within 10-15’ of the spine of the mountain. Descending this trail is not exactly fun, but I use my trekking poles to help, and apparently my knees are conditioned well enough to take just about anything. I stop occasionally to cut blowdowns with my saw, giving my knees a breather. It’s very satisfying to clear the way for my future self and any other intrepid adventurers who brave this wild but beautiful area. It’s been a successful recon mission to Green Ridge, and I can’t wait to return!

Stats

Time: 6.5 hours
Distance: 4.0 miles
Elevation Gain: 3350'
Summits: Point 4595

Alpine Lakes Mission

Lakes visited: Green Ridge
Total lakes: 25
Percent complete: 8.4%

Photos and Videos

360° Photo: Green Ridge Lake

Comments